What is Invisalign®?
Invisalign® is a state-of-the-art orthodontic treatment that uses removable clear plastic trays, or aligners, to gently move your teeth into better alignment over time. The aligners are custom made for each patient for better fit and faster results than traditional metal braces in most cases. And like traditional metal braces, the Invisalign® system can be used to correct an array of alignment issues in our Tampa patients, including:
- cross bites
- gaps between teeth, crowded teeth or other spacing issues
Is Invisalign® better than traditional metal braces?
Invisalign® offers several advantages compared to traditional metal braces, making it a very popular choice for preteens, teens and adults who visit our Tampa practice. Here’s why:
- The aligners can be removed, making it easier to care for your teeth during treatment.
- The aligners are made of clear plastic, so they’re virtually invisible while being worn.
- Because the aligners are smooth, there are no sharp metal edges or brackets to irritate the inside of your mouth.
- Invisalign® aligners can be removed for social situations or picture-taking events if necessary.
- The aligners are custom-fit for your mouth, making them more comfortable and also helping to “speed up” treatment for most patients.
- While metal braces need to be adjusted every four weeks or sooner to keep your treatment on track, with Invisalign® you only need to visit the office about once every six weeks.
What happens during Invisalign® treatment?
As a leading provider of Invisalign® in the Tampa area, we begin every treatment with a careful evaluation of your alignment issues to ensure Invisalign® is the best option for your needs. Once we decide Invisalign® is a good choice, treatment begins with a set of impressions, or molds, of your teeth. The impressions will be sent to a dental lab that specializes in Invisalign® and scanned into a computer. The computer uses special software to create a series of 3-D models of your mouth, showing how your teeth need to shift over time to come into alignment. Your aligners will be created using those 3-D models for a completely customized treatment designed for optimal results. Most patients receive from 12 to 30 aligners, each of which is worn for about two weeks before being “swapped” for the next aligner in the series.
Is Invisalign® the best choice for me?
Invisalign® is used to treat a wide array of alignment and occlusion issues, but it’s not ideal for everyone. The best way to decide if Invisalign® is the right choice for your needs is to schedule an appointment with our Tampa practice. We’ll evaluate your bite pattern and discuss all your options to ensure you get the best, most appropriate and most effective treatment for your needs. And if your insurance doesn’t cover the cost of Invisalign® treatment, our office staff will be happy to help you find a financing plan that will enable you to fit the cost of care into your budget.